Maintaining Your Residential Property


For assistance regarding animals, call Animal Control at 303-663-6100.

Building permits

A building permit is required for any work that affects the building, additions, decks, electrical, mechanical, heating or plumbing systems. For more information on building permit requirements, contact the Building Division by phone at 720-733-3527, or by email.

Business licenses

A business license is required for all businesses, including home-based businesses, operating within the Town limits. For more information, call the Finance Department at 303-660-1050.

Construction materials / debris

Construction and landscape materials, debris, dirt, and any general solid waste are not allowed on any public right of way, street, alley, or easement.

Construction noise

Operating any tools or equipment in connection with construction is allowed between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekends and holidays.

Dumpsters / portable storage units

Refuse containers of any type may not be placed in the public right of way, street, alley or front yard.


Fences up to 48 inches tall are allowed in the front yard; fences up to 72 inches tall are allowed anywhere else on your property without a permit. Barbed wire fences and above-ground electrified fences are not allowed on residential lots.

Garbage containers

Garbage containers may be placed next to a public roadway or alley for trash pick up for a period not to exceed 24 hours.

No Knock - door-to-door solicitation / sales

The No Knock List was created to allow homeowners to opt out of door-to-door solicitation and sales. Register your home address online.

Canvasser activities advocating civic, religious, charitable or political causes are exempt from this ordinance.

Sidewalks and grass strips

Property owners are responsible for all sidewalks on or adjacent to their property, including turf or landscape material between the sidewalk and curb. All sidewalks must remain free from obstructions including tree branches, shrubs, snow, ice, and other hazards.


A sign permit is required to display, erect, relocate or alter most signs. No sign may be attached to public property (including stop signs and light poles), placed within the right of way or placed off premises of the business it is advertising.  


Any accumulation of rubbish, trash, or solid waste is not allowed.

Snow removal

Snow and ice must be removed from sidewalks within 48 hours following the termination of any weather condition that causes 2 or more inches of accumulation.

Got Ice

The combination of snow and sunshine in Colorado leads to ice, especially on the Town's east-west streets. The Town has a strategic plan for removing ice, which will start after plowing operations are completed. This often takes time, and the Town appreciates your patience. Report ice to 720-733-2462 or by email

Vehicles / parking

Vehicles stored on your property must have valid license tags and be in operable condition.

  • All vehicles including boats, trailers and recreational vehicles, must be parked on a driveway, parking lot or other improved surface. Parking on grass or dirt is not allowed.
  • Trucks, tractors and / or semi-trailers in any combination may not be parked or stored on any lot or street in any area zoned residential.
  • Vehicles must be parked a minimum of 30 feet from the approach to any flashing beacon or signal, stop sign, yield sign or traffic control signal located at the side of a roadway.

For assistance with vehicles in the roadway, call Castle Rock Police at 303-663-6100; for assistance with vehicles on private property, call the Zoning Division at 720-733-3557.

Yard maintenance

Properties may not be overgrown with grass or weeds exceeding 12 inches in height. All plants and trees are to be trimmed so they do not impair driver vision or obstruct travel on sidewalks or roadways.

Questions? Email us at

Keep informed of all Town happenings! Sign up online at Or, follow us on social media – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Nextdoor and YouTube.