Make a plan
Make a plan today. Being prepared for disasters starts at home. Your family may not be together if a disaster strikes, so it is important to put a plan together now. FEMA's "Make a plan" webpage has many valuable resources to help you do this.
Castle Rock Fire and Rescue encourages residents to create a family emergency communication plan so you can have a plan in place for how to reach each other and where to meet up in an emergency.
Creating your family emergency communication plan starts with one simple question: "What if..." This question will guide your planning and help you collect and share important information with your family. It also allows you to practice your communication plan once it is in place, as well.
Disaster supplies kit
Create a disaster supplies kit. Once disaster hits, you won't have time to shop or search for supplies. But if you have gathered supplies in advance, your family can endure an evacuation or home confinement. Make sure you have plenty of water and nonperishable food - at least a three-day supply per person. Select foods that require no refrigeration, preparation or cooking and little or no water. If you must heat food, pack a can of Sterno chafing dish fuel. More information on what is needed to build your emergency kit can be found on FEMA's "Build a kit" webpage.
- A first-aid kit (nonprescription drugs, tools and supplies)
- Aluminum foil
- Battery-operated radio and extra batteries
- Cash or traveler's checks and change
- Clothing and bedding
- Emergency-preparedness manual
- Fire extinguisher (small canister type)
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Important family documents
- Map of the area (for locating shelters)
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Medicine dropper
- Mess kit (paper cups, plates and plastic utensils)
- Needles and thread
- Nonelectric can opener
- Paper and pencil
- Plastic sheeting
- Plastic storage containers
- Sanitation supplies
- Shut-off wrench (to turn off household gas and water)
- Signal flare
- Supplies for babies or children
- Tube tent
- Utility knife