Requirements & policies
Generally, the adopting group agrees to pick up litter from both sides of a roadway three to four times per year. However, each area has its own special needs. Street segment lengths vary, and some may be in areas that don't need to be picked up more than twice in a year. Groups may choose to adopt several roadways.
- The Castle Rock Public Works Department has the sole responsibility in determining whether an application is accepted and whether a roadway segment will be available for adoption.
- If an application is approved, a group representative shall execute a written agreement with the Town. Participating group members shall abide by all rules and safety requirements of the program.
- Prior to any planned trash pick ups, all participating group members must attend a safety meeting in which all members will view the Spruce Up Colorado volunteer safety video. It is the group coordinator's responsibility to arrange such a meeting. Potential hazards involved with participating in this program include, but are not limited to, traffic, exposure to noxious weeds / plants, broken glass, hazardous materials, sharp metal and potentially hazardous wildlife, such as snakes and skunks.
- The participating group agrees to restrict program activities to the right-of-way, off the traveled portion of the roadway.
- While picking up litter on the right-of-way, the method, manner and appearance (clothed in appropriate work attire) of the participants will not in any way distract, disrupt or adversely affect traffic. Participants may not display messages, carry banners or advertise their business affiliation or cause.
- The Town of Castle Rock prohibits the possession, consumption or being under the influence of alcohol or drugs while performing cleanup within Town rights-of-way.
- The group shall provide adult supervision for participants age 18 or under. No one under the age of 7 will be allowed to participate in the program. The Town requires a signed waiver and indemnification form from all participating group members.
- Program activities shall occur during daylight hours and not during inclement weather.