Citizen Police Academy
Experience hands-on training
Every year, we provide the residents of Castle Rock a chance to gain a better understanding of what law enforcement officers go through on a daily basis. Participants engage in a combination of classroom and hands-on training. The class is kept small, no more than 30, to aid participation.
The series is free and meets from 6 to 10 p.m. Monday nights for 10 weeks once per year. The 2013 class is scheduled in April 2013 and is at full capacity at this time.
The academy contains mini versions of the same types of training real officers go through. Participants learn or experience:
- Education in federal, state and local laws
- Investigative procedures, including officer discretion relating to arrests
- Crime scene processing and evidence collection
- Community policing tactics
- Victim assistance services
- Self-defense / firearm safety
- Traffic laws, accident investigation and drunken driving enforcement
The academy's goal is to build partnerships between Castle Rock residents and the officers who serve and protect them through a series of classes instructed by police officers. Residents interested in how the Castle Rock Police Department’s policies and procedures work may email us
or call 720-733-6016.