Mayor's Conservation Challenge
Fill the Rock
April 1-30, 2017
Castle Rock residents have proven their commitment to water conservation. Now, it’s time to show the nation how much we rock! Mayor Green invites all residents of Castle Rock to take water conservation to the next level by taking the pledge to conserve more!
Castle Rock’s involvement in the national Mayor’s Challenge began in 2016 with outstanding results. Castle Rock’s city ranking, based on the number of pledges, rose from 357 to 4! This year, Mayor Green wants to get to first place.
Throughout the month of April, join us in taking a free online, pledge to conserve. Simply click on the pledge button below. With every pledge we increase our national ranking showing how water-wise we are. Help us get to first place in our division, and you could win a new Prius!
While prizes are available from the Mayor’s Challenge sponsor, Wyland Foundation, our ultimate prize is water savings. Our goal, is to get enough pledges to Fill the Rock with water savings. Every pledge is allocated a specific amount of water saved on an annual basis. That amount will be used to calculate our Town’s overall water savings. Can we save enough water to Fill the Rock? Last year, we reached 107 percent. Help us do it again!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION! We filled the Rock to 116 percent! We hope you participate again next year!
National ranking: 7
Gallons filled: 116 percent
Gallons filled: 116 percent
Just a couple of things your pledge encompasses:
- Fixing a leak is the best way to prevent water waste! An American home can waste, on average, more than 10,000 gallons of water per year due to running toilets, dripping faucets and other household leaks. That adds up to 1 trillion gallons per year — the equivalent of annual water use of Los Angeles, Chicago and Miami combined!
Pledge to fix those leaks.
- Slowing the flow is an easy way to conserve. Installing high efficiency shower heads can save 754 gallons of water per year, along with installing faucet aerators and low-flow toilets. Want a starter kit? Stop by Castle Rock Water (limited supplies available).
Pledge to slow the flow.
- SmartScape your yard. Approximately 50 percent of water used by Castle Rock residents goes to outdoor watering. Use native plants, reduce turf and incorporate hardscape designs. Simply changing your landscape can save time and money. Imagine not having to spend the weekends mowing. Learn how at our free Water Wiser classes.
Pledge to Smartscape.
- Sprinkle the right way. Sticking to early morning or evening watering times minimizes an estimated 20-50 percent evaporation due to heat, wind and solar radiation. Rotary sprinklers and drip lines are better at getting the water to plants.
Pledge to water the right way.
- Don’t place trash in the toilet. Less flushing means less water usage and less waste for the water reclamation plant to process. Place tissues in the trashcan, not the toilet. Take pharmaceuticals to designated drop off locations. Give ‘Bubbles’ the pet goldfish, a proper burial in the backyard.
Pledge to dispose of waste properly.
- Refill your water bottle. Not only will you eliminate an estimated 167 plastic water bottles (per person) in the landfill, but reduce waste in your wallet. If you drank the recommended eight glasses of water a day, with U.S. tap rates at about $.49 per year; that same amount of bottled water is about $1,400. Plus, Castle Rock Water won best tasting water in the region in 2015 and second in 2016!
Pledge to refill the water bottle!