Plum Creek Parkway
Bridge work set to begin July 10
Crews are expected to begin repairs on the Plum Creek Parkway bridge over the railroad (between Perry Street and Plum Creek Boulevard) on July 10.
About the work
Crews will be performing maintenance repairs to bridge support structures, called girders. They will also be working on the surface of the bridge to repair damaged areas and seal the bridge deck. Work is expected to last through mid-August, though crews will take a break between July 29 and Aug. 6 for the annual Douglas County Fair and Rodeo. As always in Colorado, weather can impact construction timelines.
To do this work safely, crews will need to close one of the four lanes of Plum Creek Parkway between Perry Street and Plum Creek Boulevard. The lane that will close will vary based on construction needs and time of day.
During the morning commute, there will be two lanes available to travel westbound, with one lane open eastbound. During the afternoon commute, two lanes will be available eastbound, with one lane open westbound. At times, there may be just one lane open in each direction, as crews work in the middle of the bridge.
Alternate access to the west side of Town includes Fifth Street to Wolfensberger Road.
Please drive safely through all construction zones.
New traffic technology in place
As part of the road improvements along Plum Creek Parkway, the Town has installed a new electronic traffic management system. It sounds complicated, but it’s simple to use and is expected to smooth out the weekday commute for drivers getting to Interstate 25 during the morning rush hour.
Get details on the new technology.
Intersection work completed at Wilcox Street
- At Wilcox Street and Plum Creek Parkway, the intersection was reconstructed to improve drainage and ride quality by removing the “dip” on the east side of this intersection. Plus, additional turn lanes were added to improve traffic flow for westbound Plum Creek Parkway and northbound Wilcox Street
- New lanes were added throughout the intersection to improve traffic flow. There are now two northbound left-turn lanes from Wilcox Street to Plum Creek Parkway; a free right-turn lane onto southbound Wilcox Street; and a dedicated right onto northbound Wilcox St.
- A southbound free right-turn lane was added from Perry Street to Plum Creek Parkway
- A westbound right-turn lane was added from Plum Creek Parkway to northbound I-25
- Plum Creek Parkway was widened in the I-25 ramp intersection to accommodate a future triple left-turn lane from the southbound off-ramp to eastbound Plum Creek Parkway (a future CDOT project)
- Crews made the most of this inconvenience by also repairing the pavement, curbs and sidewalks along Plum Creek Parkway between Douglas County Fairgrounds and Wilcox Street
- The Town also performed additional crack sealing along Plum Creek Parkway between I-25 and Plum Creek Boulevard. This work helped smooth out the road and extend the life of the street
New technology is next phase
Now that repairs are almost done, the Town is preparing to implement new traffic technology for westbound weekday commuters. Learn more about how this will increase your access to I-25.