Festival Park Reimagined
Festival Park is the heart of Downtown Castle Rock and is home to some of the community’s most treasured events. Soon, this central gathering space will be transformed into a vibrant urban center. This project was planned through a collaborative effort of residents, the Downtown Development Authority, Downtown Merchants Association and the Town.
On Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016 a construction contract between the Town and M.A. Mortenson Company was approved by Town Council to redevelop Festival Park. The goals are to enhance the park, boost the success of the adjacent Downtown business district and create an active public gathering space for both work and relaxation.
Throughout the planning process, the Town solicited input from the public to help re-image the park. The $6.9 million-park-improvement project will include amenities such as a landing pavilion, splash pad, two fire-pits, an open lawn, a creek-side picnic area, market plaza, bridge connections to Town Hall parking, improved lighting and seating, an overlook walkway with an iconic lantern feature and a water-play area in Sellars Gulch. In addition to the amenities, stormwater improvements along Sellars Gulch will be implemented to align with national flood plain regulations and provide public access to the creek.
It’s also important to note, the park’s redesign will include a permanent partial closure of Second Street. Traffic will only be permitted to enter Second Street one-way from Perry Street and will be required to exit through the alley north. This will allow for both a pedestrian walkway and market plaza to be incorporated into the park.
Construction is set to begin early 2017 and is planned to be completed by Starlighting.
View the park plan!
The Festival Park redesign project has multiple funding sources including the Conservation Trust Fund, the Parks and Recreation Capital Fund, the Town's unobligated General Fund, the Town's Stormwater Account and the Downtown Development Authority's TIF (tax increment financing).
|Town of Castle Rock||$2.9 million|
|Downtown Development Authority||$4 million|
|Contract Award||M.A. Mortenson Company|
- Planning for the redesign of the park was a vision some time ago. In 2008, Downtown businesses voted to increase their property taxes to help pay for Downtown improvement projects through a TIF fund.
- Council approved the final design concept and funding as part of the 2016 budget.
- Public engagement process took place to get resident feedback. Check out the results from the public engagement process.
- Design Workshop – the landscape design consultant for the project – led a team of highly-qualified architects and engineers to develop construction drawings suitable for the contractor-bidding process.
- Town Council approved a construction contract with M.A. Mortenson Company.
- Construction is set to begin and is planned to be completed within roughly one year.
Anticipated Closures / Parking Suggestions
- Permanent partial closure of Second Street.
- The right turn lane onto Second Street when heading north on Wilcox will also be removed.
- Only five parking spots will remain on Second Street after construction begins. View the ample public parking that will remain available.
- Sellars Gulch Trail will be temporarily closed to accommodate construction beginning Feb. 9, 2017 (detour will be necessary). The closed portion of the trail is between Wilcox and Perry streets. The Sellars Gulch detour is approximately a half mile in length and takes you to street level by the police station, around Town Hall and down along the ADA access ramp near Blue Nectar restaurant. The detour is expected to be in effect through November 2017.
Construction update - Monday, Sept. 18
The clock is ticking, and crews are continuing to work hard to meet the Starlighting completion date. The curb re-alignment in Wilcox Street has been completed, and the work behind the curb is now beginning to take shape.
The stone wall for the splash pad is being carefully placed as there will be water pouring out from four different locations. The restroom has been set with the final grading forthcoming.
Additionally, the curb re-alignment in Perry Street has been placed and the final lift of asphalt is being laid. The street is expected to open to two-way traffic tomorrow (Tuesday, Sept. 19).
Finally, several areas of sidewalk have been placed including stairs. Irrigation and electrical installation continue to be installed.
Coming up next
The stone wall for the splash pad will be completed towards the end of the month and therefore final grading will take place around the wall itself. Footings for the park entrance sign off of Wilcox Street are scheduled to be placed.
Work will continue on the Lantern structure - both on the walking surface, as well as, the actual structure. Concrete sidewalks and stairs will continue to be installed. With a good portion of irrigation complete, plants will begin to arrive in October.
Beginning on Tuesday, Sept. 19 Second Street from Perry Street to the alley will be closed until the project is complete. As there is a large amount of work to be performed in Second Street (re-profiling the road, underground utilities, landscaping, etc.) this road will remain closed through mid-November.