Street and Lane Closures
Right of way requirements
Every person who plans to work within the Town’s right of way (ROW) must have a traffic control plan approved by a Town traffic engineer. The plan must include the following elements:
- A plan view of the street and surrounding roads needed in any detour (show lane widths and nearby traffic signs)
- The number and type of traffic control / detour signs needed to implement the plan
- Working date(s) and hour(s)
- Field contact person including on-site and office phone numbers
- Typical traffic control general instructions (Public Improvement Permit Instructions - PDF)
- Town of Castle Rock Sample Traffic Control Plans (Fillable PDF)
- Identify the street classification; use the Roadway Functional Classification (Interactive Map) for reference
- An approved Application for Street / Lane Closure (Fillable PDF)
Submit your ROW application and traffic control plan for approval by the Town’s traffic engineer at least a week prior to a requested lane, shoulder or sidewalk closure. For a street closure, the application needs to be submitted 21 days prior to the start of work.
- Make sure all signage conforms to the most recent edition of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
- If work outside of normal work hours is necessary, call the Traffic Engineering Department, 720-733-2479, for permission to extend working hours. Failure to do so could result in a fine.
- All non-applying signage must be out of motorists’ view at the end of each work day.
- All signage and barricades must be picked up immediately following completion of the construction project.
|Type of street||Lane closures||Construction activities|
|Arterial streets||8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.||8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.|
|Collector streets||8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.||8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.|
|Local streets||7 a.m. - 9 p.m.||7 a.m. - 9 p.m.|
Please note that construction activities may take place adjacent to the street during hours shown, but lane closure hours will be observed. All barricades left overnight must be illuminated with flashing or steady burn lights.
For further information, call the Traffic Engineering Division at 720-733-2479, or email us.