Teen Court Leadership
The Student Advisory Board (SAB) is an elected committee of Teen Court members that makes decisions regarding Teen Court policies and practices, fundraiser projects, outings, and training opportunities. Board members keep detailed records of their meetings, and they are responsible for notifying the general membership of board activities and decisions. There are no term limits for board members. However, an SAB election is held annually.
Teen Court members can serve as youth attorneys in Teen Court trials. Volunteers interested in becoming attorneys must be at least 12 years old and fulfill the following requirements.
- Complete general legal training (GLT)
- Volunteer at Teen Court for a minimum of 30 hours
- Filling out a law school application
- Providing a written letter of recommendation
- Meeting for a scheduled interview with the coordinator and/or adult attorneys
- Signing a commitment contract outlining what is required in order to pass law school
Teen Court Law School consists of 16 hours of classroom training and mock trials. In order to graduate from law school, law students must pass a rigorous bar exam. Law school is a wonderful opportunity for those who enjoy debate or public speaking. Law school is also an excellent experience for students who plan to pursue a law-related career.
Adult volunteer groups
Adult volunteers are essential to the success of Teen Court, and we are privileged to have an exceptional group of trained professionals serving our program. Adult volunteers can serve as case managers or attorney mentors.
In order to become a case manager, adult volunteers are required to complete 16 hours of general legal training.
- Preparing teen volunteers before peer panels
- Supervising Teen Court peer panels
- Reviewing the peer panel with volunteers afterward
- Training teens at Teen Court Law School
- Helping teen attorneys during the trial preparation process
- Attending trials and providing feedback afterward
We sincerely thank our adult volunteers for their dedication and enthusiasm!